Monday, August 9, 2010

It’s Burlap Yall!

So many have asked me about the burlap faux roman shade I made for the men’s room window at the shop where I previously sold my stuff. Well, while trying to move my stuff from my old computer to my new one, I ran across the photo. So here ‘tis:

I just took burlap (not burlap fabric, just real burlap) and doubled it because it is sort of thin and holey. Then I made horizontal pleats about 3” deep and hand sewed them in place (you know ‘cause the shade doesn’t really roll up and down!) I made a place at the top and bottom to insert tension rods so you don’t even have to put holes in the wall, yall! Then to top it off, I just sewed black grossgrain ribbon down the sides and in the middle. Everything was hand-stitched because real burlap doesn’t work too well in my sewing machine. I guess it all worked pretty well. People liked it enough to commission more of them! Only trouble is…I can’t always find that kind of burlap!

I think today I'll link with new blogs I just found called Making the World Cuter and Keeping It Simple. Looks like so many cute and wonderful ideas! Can't wait to see all of them!

11 comments:

red.neck chic said...

Okay - sew - if I send you some burlap and measurements - think I could do some fast sweet-talkin' on behalf of the single-wide? LOL

Pam - that is just FANTASTIC! I love it!!!

;-D robelyn

KimMalk said...

How pretty - you really made burlap look 1st class :).

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I love it! The burlap is wonderful...so masculine and tailored!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Simply Bungalow said...

Very cool idea.

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Pam, i love your burlap shade, it looks great! I just love the look of burlap, when I redo my kitchen i'm going to put up burlap drapes. I already have them ready and waiting!!! hugs~~~ Daphne

Vintage Home said...

...wow!...thanks for dropping by!...how ever did you find me!...I knew I would like your blog when your banner started to reveal blue & white platters!...we have one like the top!..possibly like them all!

Donna Reyne' said...

I love this idea! And it does feel masculine...but oh so yummy at the same time!
blessings,
Donna

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Hand stitched? That is a lot of work, but sure worth it, those are nice!

Gracefully Vintage said...

Hello Hows it going. I love that romand shade in Burlap.. I love it.. Maybe ill give it a try..
Love that little cute home... SO darling.
Karryann

(p.s. what are lables for under a post.)

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Love the burlap window treatment. Really ai love burlap on anything! Thanks for your recent comment on my blog.

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...

I really enjoyed meeting you at the Antique Mall in McKinney. We will have to get together for lunch soon. Welcome to North Texas!
I LOVE your blog banner with the plates.
Gorgeous, but simple.