Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ah, Remembrances….

 

mclellans sign (2)

We all do it, don’t we?  We suddenly see something in an antique store that catches our attention in a way that immediately transports us to another place and time. 

Recently, while I was visiting The Antique Company Mall in McKinney, Texas, I saw this little sign perched atop a shelf in Ella Elaine’s booth.  Actually Ms. Ella Elaine herself, Nancy, was there and I enjoyed a visit with her.  She is so pretty and delightful and you will LOVE her stuff.  You must visit her on her blog.  Also I hear her husband (Mr. Ella) now has a booth at The Antique Company Mall and it looks great too!  How fun is that!

Now, back to memories, one of the very few happy moments of my childhood was traveling with my mother on Saturdays to “town” (Corsicana, Texas) to the grocery store and laundromat.  We didn’t get many treats back then, but sometimes we would also visit the Five and Dimes, Woolworth’s and McLellan’s.  McLellan’s was my favorite since it had a little snack bar (drug store style) in the back and the best hamburgers IN ALL THE WORLD served with potato chips and chipped ice Coke.

When I saw that little sign in Ella Elaine’s, I immediately thought of my sweet mother.  She died when I was 26 and my daughter was 3 months old.  That was 30 years ago this month.  So, thanks to Ms. Ella Elaine,  I brought the little sign home and framed it and every time I look at it, I think of those happy times….and I can almost taste those hamburgers!

Today, I want to link with Kathleen at Faded Charm for White Wednesday.  Come with me and check out memories there too!

10 comments:

Mindy said...

While I don't remember McLellan's in Corsicana, I do remember visits to Woolworth's and Hancock's Fabrics in Corsicana, when visiting my grandmother. Good flashback. I know you are feeling the nostalgia, too. i'll ask Dad about McLellan's. ~Mindy

trash talk said...

Serendipity at it's sweetest!
Now when you look at that sign...you'll have nothing but beautiful memories...and a hankering for a good hamburger!
Debbie

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet memory and a marvolus sign. I love antique store.

come visit me
cindy-stitches-n-stuff

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry that your mother died when you were so young. More and More as I get older I'm understanding how lucky I am in many ways-one-because I still have my mother. My best friend talks about how she lost her mother 17 years ago and that makes me treasure mine more. I'm so glad you have something to see and remember such good times-because that's all we really have in the end anyway. God Bless!

Tammy said...

What a sweet post! I love it when I come upon treasures that take me back! Sweet Memories!
Have a great Thursday!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love a treasure with a memory...thanks for sharing!

Amy Kinser said...

So sweet! Love finding things that remind me of a past time or someone special.

clustres said...

Test to see if I could post a comment.

Burlap Luxe said...

Hi Girlie
Thank you for stopping by to say hello! I am glad that the teacup candles inspired you, and that you spotted one of your pattern.

I too love all that inspires me over here :)
I am looking forward to posting my recycled Christmas tree all assorted wire's, and paper vintage book pages.

See youoon girl!
again thanks for the visit :)
~Cheers~
Dore

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...

I am so happy my little sign has a good home. I must say your post brought tears to my eyes as I remembered memories with my mother. We lost her last year. Thanks for the sweet post and the plug for ACM.